Monday 26 February 2018

Tuesday Discussion Skype 20th February 2018

Last Tuesday, a small group from all modules joined Helen to discuss a number of topics where we felt we needed help and/or more clarity.

Literature

This mainly came from module 3 students (myself included). How we incorporate literature seemed to be the biggest query. Helen made it very clear that when looking at literature we shouldn't just 'look for the answers we want'. The point of reading a wide range of literature is so we have an understanding of the field in which our inquiry belongs.

Helen describes it as a party.
You (the host) invited the guests (the literature) the guests mingle with each other (they may have some share knowledge but may not all get along) from this You can get their views (buy reading the literature) and from that you form your own view and opinion.

Important point to remember as you host your 'party' keep note (Harvard reference) of all those who made you form a view or make you ask questions.

One literature review should contain lots of difference sources/resources/literature. 

Don't look at literature as two sides (those that agree with your inquiry and those that don't) Look at it as three dimensional. A body of voices to open a discussion (the party!).

Analysis

This is what I really wanted to talk about but unfortunately we only touched on the subject briefly. Never the less, I learnt that analysis is my role as the researcher - I am making the cross overs between points.

'I've read this and this, my data shows this.' My analysis is of the cross over between all of it or lack there of and how it fits with my inquiry. I would love to hear some other ideas about analysis and I still feel like its a bit of a grey area for me.

To end this post, an important quote from Helen herself:

'You're not trying to re-invent the wheel - you're trying to contribute to it'

So I roll onto survey making and interview undertaking. 

No comments:

Post a Comment