Tuesday 17 October 2017

Task 4B - SIG's

Having many questions and possible lines of inquiry along with a very busy work schedule mean I have found it hard to create a concrete SIG (special interest group). So, I've decided to write this post in order to get more of us talking and asking questions. Thanks also to Emma for creating a group on Facebook.

One thing that has really grabbed my attention over the last few days is how theatre can be used for other means other than entertainment. Quite a few of the other module 2 student's blogs talk about how it can be used for therapy or how being healthy can improve our practice (see http://jennifersimm.blogspot.co.uk/ and http://ellebyrne.blogspot.co.uk/2017/10/relating-sigs-to-my-practice-task-4b.html blogs to see what I have read/commented).

So, I was scrolling through Facebook mindlessly when two videos grabbed my attention.



In this video, they use VR to enable those who have suffered mental health issues to bring what happens in their heads into the physical world. Using art as a form of therapy is nothing new, but with the development of technology can we use it on a wider audience? Technology advancement within the arts and its role in recovery/therapy.



It's no secret that I am a huge fan of Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-Time both the book and the stage play. I have no doubt that the character development for Christopher would have been extensive to ensure an accurate depiction of an autistic boy. But to use an actor who has autism, is fantastic. We no longer see disability as a barrier or hindrance. Some find a calmness or serenity when they pretend to be someone other than themselves. Life is hard, especially if every day is a constant battle so to be able to provide an escape that is fun and enjoyable, I think is something special.

I found a company that use the arts to help those who have suffered from mental health problems: http://theatrenemo.org/ having this service available means we can reach more people using different art forms which in turn, could mean more permanent solutions/coping mechanisms/recovery. Equally, theatre can be used to help physical ailments, dance is a very good discipline for recovery. We must consider the physical benefits of theatre as well as the emotional.

Another view, is that theatre can help people who don't have any physical or mental problems. In my previous post I spoke of how acting can help build confidence, improve public speaking skills and much more. Should we use the time kid's get in school to help them build basic skills through theatre games? My thoughts are yes, but what are yours?

Looking at this from another angle is how an audience's well being can be altered after watching a show. I hadn't considered this until I stumbled upon this very small article as I was looking into research. You don't have to be a performer in a show for something to have an effect. This idea is very similar to that of Brecht's practice. He was a practitioner that believed in the audience being engaged and present during a performance so that they left with a strong opinion on what they had watched. Rather than being passive and simply 'sitting back and watching' they 'sit forward and engage' with the (mainly political) issues he was showing through his work.

To conclude, what are your thoughts on the below points:

- Has technology changed the way in which we use theatre as a tool to aid recovery?

- Are the arts now a viable form of therapy?

- Is a healthy mind and body balance needed in order to be successful?

- Does the development of technology within the theatre world mean we can portray things such as disability and illness more accurately, or does it trivialise it?

Food for thought perhaps.


2 comments:

  1. Jess, thanks for the mention! :) I absolutely love the quote you've provided by Heather Shumaker. 'Playtime is precious.' This is so true and the 'lifelong skills'quote to end it is something that thoroughly interests me seeing as I am looking into Education of young minds myself. I am also really happy you are looking into mental health because this is something that has affected me recently and have realised it is a topic that needs to be talked about more and more. I'm really looking forward to hearing more about your inquiry.

    Emma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jess. I share the same passion for you with curious incident of dog- such a fantastic piece of theatre. the question 'Has technology changed the way in which we use theatre as a tool to aid recovery?' my view on this is that i think it has changed the way we use theatre- visual art forms is a lot more widely out sourced though the use of social media and i think this has effected people accessing it- in some ways make have hindered due to having the accessibility on a mobile device but have also made it more accessible and make people more open minded about it i.e. watching a trailer of a play or seeing an advert on social media then choosing to access the theatre.

    ReplyDelete