Friday 21 April 2017

Task 3A - Current Networks

Network - a word that can be interpreted in so many different ways. In this scenario, I envision rivers and streams intertwining and interconnecting. Everything works as one - much like the human body, without the heart we wouldn't have life and without blood the heart wouldn't work, so on and so forth. Having a strong network I believe is incredibly important for those of us in the performance industry. Many people have posted the age old saying 'its who you know not what you know' and I agree. Word of mouth is not only huge within theatre but within other industries. I have a job in retail and I'm often asked for suggestions as to the best face cream, eye shadow etcetera. From advising or working with one person they will go on to tell friends, family and perhaps other colleagues. This is why I think its so important to be aware of how we present ourselves both in the physical and the online world.

I followed by example and mapped out my networks (thank you fellow bloggers!). It actually took me a few attempts because the more I wrote the more I realised just how many people are in 'my network' - a bit like a spider working overtime on their web! Once it was down on paper in front of me I began to evaluate it.



I've taken some inspiration from Eleanor's Task 3A blog when evaluating because I really like how she's displayed it and considered it from lots of different angles.

How Valuable Is My Network?

Unbelievably valuable both professionally and personally. The people I trained with are the next generation of actors, adjudicators (hello Amanda!), casting directors and more. Not only that but they are friends, people who know how I work, who I am and what my strengths and weaknesses are - all of this helps to get the professional ball rolling. I have a friend who runs her own after school drama classes in several schools and I have been asked to help out from time to time.

Range

When I thought about how vast my network spans in just the few years in which I have engaged professionally in my practice, it also made me think about the range of personalities I've met, the amount of lessons I've learned (professionally and personally) that all stem from my network. At drama school we were fortunate enough to be introduced to 'visiting directors' who would come in for a few weeks, teach us a few routines or a whole play in some cases and then leave. Being exposed to all the different styles of teaching and writing really broadened my knowledge and helped towards my development as a performer, without that connection I wouldn't have been able grow.

A good example is in my first year, one of my tutors was on a casting panel for an advert and a few of us got an audition (and successfully got the job woohoo!). Without that connection it may not have turned out so positively. One of my old visiting tutors got the same job because the tutor on the casting panel knew he had a specific skill they were looking for.

How Do I Intend to Expand My Network?

Work, work, work, work, work, work! Nothing like a healthy employment to get the ball rolling! Another example! I work as part of a tech crew in the theatre, now although sourced this job myself, it turns out my dad knows the man who runs the front of house! So that's another possible path way for me to take if needs be. Everyone's network is always expanding, probably without even knowing it. Six months ago none of us even knew we existed on this planet and now thanks to BAPP we're all discussing, discovering and learning together. To be able to fully utilise my network of professional practice, I need to be more aware of the connections and relationships I'm making and creating.

Ethical Considerations

These are always bobbing around in the back of my mind - perhaps that's why I haven't been as aware of my network up until now. As with anything, be considerate. The term 'use and abuse' comes to mind. It's harsh sounding I know, but be thankful for your connections and don't take advantage of them. You want to keep them after all not alienate everyone; plus they'll soon let others know if you take advantage or mistreat them.

It's great to make friends with colleagues and performers alike but I think adding them on social media needs to be carefully considered. I've heard some people say 'just think would your Nan want to read what you've written' when it comes to social media and I like the underlying  premise. I always make sure that what I write I would be happy for anyone, but especially prospective employers, to see. If you're not happy, they're not happy.

Conclusion

I've concluded that out network is ever growing but it needs to be carefully nurtured for. What you see initially isn't the full picture and everything works as one. Similar to the rhizome theory and comparing it to blades of grass. We must 'water' ourselves to enable everything else to grow. When we think of 'word of moth' we mustn't just think of what people say about us but how our words impact on others.

Here are some images I found interesting as I looked a little further in to the 'word of mouth' idea:




References

http://versatilesolutionsbb.com/web_documents/word_of_mouth_research_jar_dec-07.pdf

https://michaelhyatt.com/how-our-words-impact-others.html

Allsop, D. T., Bassett, B. R., & Hoskins, J. A. (2007). Word-of-mouth research: principles and applications. Journal of Advertising Research, 47(4), 398.

https://moderncomment.com/customer-feedback-stats

https://michaelhyatt.com/how-our-words-impact-others.html

No comments:

Post a Comment