Thursday 27 April 2017

Task 3B - Theories Relating to Networking

The past few weeks have been filled with trying to fit all of my experience and knowledge thus far into 1000 words in the form of my Critical Reflection. It's definitely taken over slightly and my blog has been put on the back burner. However, thought I'd try and complete all the tasks I can - it can only enhance my knowledge. Therefore BEHOLD! Task 3B. An exploration of a few of the theories in Reader 3 that I found interesting with reference to them within my own practice!

Cooperation

Without even reading the words under the title my mind already began to think about how important cooperation is within my practice. I envision the theatre as a place where everything and everyone is a small cog in a big machine. In order for it to work and run smoothly, everyone/thing has to work in harmony. Have you noticed that when a blog or Blogger itself is trying to load it shows two cogs working?


Ah harmony, those of us who work in a theatrical environment know that nothing is perfect. Things go wrong, technology (sometimes our memory) fails us. It's also probably worth mentioning that although a group of people can work together to achieve the end goal, this doesn't mean that they have to like each other. Being professional and doing my job in the best way I can is how I achieve my part in the working machine. Making friends or connections (hello networking!) is a bonus.

The Game Theory suggests that one person must succeed at the other person's expense. I related this to an audition situation. In order to get a job we have to 'beat' others at what we do. When I first read the term 'at someone else's expense' I thought it was very harsh but now that I can see it in my own practice it seems much less so. There is of course, the choice to not cooperate. I believe that people opt out of situations that are not beneficial to them; 'there is no such thing as selfless act' came to mind. Not sure I agree with this but that's a much more in-depth conversation for another time! With the Prisoners Dilemma, I found it difficult to relate within my own practice slightly because my mind wandered to thinking about crime and justice (fun fact - I actually got a place at University to study Criminology, Psychology and Forensic Science). I'm also an honest person so I couldn't imagine 'framing' or putting someone forward to take the blame for something I had done. I don't  know about anyone else but I've certainly been in situations where a scene or dance piece wasn't up to scratch and you get caught out. I think Teachers and Tutors know when someone isn't pulling their weight in a production/class but the whole company pull together and work as one without isolating one person.


Connectivism

A group of actors, singers, dancers and performers skipping round a fire chanting 'we are one' is the first thing that came to mind. Stephen Downes and George Siemens say that "learning occurs through connections within networks" We learn from one another. We seek to gain knowledge not only from those within our network but those who are affiliated with it - thus expanding our network. A bit like a domino effect the before you is the informant and you pass that on. The circle of knowledge (life). People develop personalities and traits by being influenced from their surroundings and people within their lives. I agree with this on a professional level. There have been many times during rehearsal process where someone will do something and I have thought to myself 'ah that's good, I'll keep that for another time'.

Reader 3 suggested that 'we might suggest that a professional network is a system with which we can interact to learn' and this idea is exactly what we do every day on this course. In the last campus session I mentioned how I spent a while going on to past students blogs. I found it so interesting to see how other people see and interpret things (same with all current students) and how they have written their ideas has got me thinking about not only their opinion but mine too. The digital world can enhance our learning because it is such a broad network with many contributors.

Siemen's Principles of connectivism:
  • Learning and knowledge rests in diversity of opinions.
  • Learning is a process of connecting specialized nodes or information sources.
  • Learning may reside in non-human appliances.
  • Capacity to know more is more critical than what is currently known
  • Nurturing and maintaining connections is needed to facilitate continual learning.
  • Ability to see connections between fields, ideas, and concepts is a core skill.
  • Currency (accurate, up-to-date knowledge) is the intent of all connectivist learning activities.
  • Decision-making is itself a learning process. Choosing what to learn and the meaning of incoming information is seen through the lens of a shifting reality. While there is a right answer now, it may be wrong tomorrow due to alterations in the information climate affecting the decision.
Nodes: a point in a network or diagram at which lines or pathways intersect or branch.

I really like how Siemen's has considered the changing climate. Sometimes theories can be stuck in their ways. The versatility of connectivism allows almost anyone to relate to it regardless of how or why they're using it. Why? Because we are all learning all the time, pardon the cliché but every day's a school day. This relates to Albert Bandura's social learning theory. We observe to learn. Children do this as a natural instinct and it only takes one or two times before they copy you. I don't think we ever loose this, which is why some people are tactile learners. This relates to Gardener's theory of Multiple Intelligences. This is just more proof that everything is linked - connected!

Communities of Practice

Etienne Wenger summarizes Communities of Practice as “groups of people who share a concern or a passion for something they do and learn how to do it better as they interact regularly.” I believe that my community of practice expands beyond just performing and that each community of practice leads to another. In Lave and Wenger's diagram at the start of this course I would have been in the 'occasional' circle because I was still unsure of what I was doing and didn't yet realise the link between my work and every day practice. Now, I am very much an active participant of the course. Everything seems to be slipping into place and I can identify when this is happening and why.


To conclude, I believe nearly every theory (including those I haven't mentioned) from Reader 3 have the underlying principle that everything we learn and do comes from multiple sources. I agree with the idea that we have multiple influences that upon first glance may seem individual but with further evaluation you can see that they are all linked. This is a valuable asset to my practice because it allows me to learn more and expand my ideas by communicating and working with others. It is important to listen to everyone even if at first it doesn't useful, you never know what you might find.

References

https://www.learning-theories.com/social-learning-theory-bandura.html

https://education-2020.wikispaces.com/Connectivism

https://www.learning-theories.com/communities-of-practice-lave-and-wenger.html

Reader 3

1 comment: