Monday 20 February 2017

Task 1a

For this task we have been asked to rewrite our current CV as a profile. To begin this task I started by looking at my current CVs and how they would be perceived.

As a performer and someone who has worked in other roles such as retail and administration, I have more than one CV. At drama school we were given a very basic outline to what our profession (performing) CV should look like; this is also the same for when I first built my 'normal' CV.

After school I pretty much went straight into full time work with the CV I had, therefore it has been a while since I have updated it. Whilst I have had other jobs since then and during my time at drama school, it has always served me well. Below you can see what my 'normal' CV looked like before editing it:





This was a template given to me while at school and when it came to editing my CV the first thing I noticed immediately when I came to edit it, is that it looks very dated. Its all in black and while and if I'm honest, a little boring to look at. Colour can attract the eye to the most important part of a document, so by incorporating some colour it can liven up what your CV looks like. As for the work history section, it was very brief and didn't really describe what the roles involved. By doing some research I found that a brief but precise description is best. As the website https://www.cv-library.co.uk/career-advice/cv/how-to-write-a-cv-tips-for-2017/ clearly states here:



One positive aspect of my old CV is that all the information is sectioned into certain groups, main git easy to read and simple for an employer to see things such as grades, education and contact information. This is an aspect I've tried to keep in my new CV. 

Below is the new, updated version of my CV. In this format it is now the current version I use:

                     



I feel that this CV looks more professional and is clearer for any prospective employer to look at. By placing my contact details on the left hand side of the document it saves spaces and allows for more information to be given within the main frame of the document.

NB: All personal details such as contact information and address have been removed for the purpose of this blog. 

2 comments:

  1. Like yourself - I have 2 CVs - both professional and 'in-between' work. I believe it is important to make them both attractive to potential employers because we need normal work to coincide with performance work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like the way your are taking the opportunity to re-think your CVs, like the 1 page version - It might just be me - an american - but do you need to list the marks for the GSCE and A levels? not sure you need the date of birth? I usually like wh the Guardian has to say https://www.theguardian.com/careers/2015/dec/29/the-best-cv-writing-tips-of-2015 and Kent https://www.kent.ac.uk/careers/cv/actorcv.htm

    ReplyDelete